It was getting down to the wire and I had not sewn anything for my wedding. I mean, what kind of Sewer Slut would I be if I didn't handcraft some fabulous fabric item for my very own wedding? My dress was vintage and, though I did not create it myself, I did reinforce the beading, but that doesn't really count as making something new and unique for the wedding. I kept trying to think of little things to make with needle and thread for the ceremony...did people need little fabric flags to wave or what about fabric flags lining the path to the ceremony?
Weeks ago I decided that I would need a garment bag for my dress. I already had the pattern, Butterick B4156, which seems to now be out of print. I also chose the fabric...a gorgeous vintage print from my new sister-in-law. So I set both the pattern and the fabric aside, but did not touch them for weeks. I spent my time crafting paper flowers for the centerpieces and just ignored my sewing machine for the month before the wedding.
So Friday morning at 5:30, I woke up and made the garment bag. With three panels of fabric, a zipper, and loads of bias tape, I figured that it would take about two hours and that was all the time I would have to myself until after the wedding. And I was right...it was about two hours on the nose. I got a bit exuberant about ripping out basting stitches, so that I now have a small bit of bias tape to repair, but otherwise the bag is fabulous!
And here we are...